If you are a British citizen or a relative of a British citizen living in Spain before January 1st, 2021 you need to know that:

  • When the temporary period ends on January 1st, 2021, the Withdrawal Agreement lay down that your rights to residence, work, studies, and social security will remain unaltered whenever you lived in Spain before that deadline.
  • Current Register Certificates and EU Citizen relatives’ cards which have British citizens and their relatives living in Spain are valid documents to prove the legal residence in Spain prior to January 1st, 2021. These documents allow these people to get advantage of the Withdrawal Agreement.

From July 6th, 2020 are being issued cards for the Withdrawal Agreement beneficiaries. Its obtaining is not compulsory but it is recommendable for being a EU uniform model. 

If you are a British citizen and want to live in Spain for the first time after the expiration of the deadline for more than 3 mothns you (or you and your family) will have to comply with the general foreigner’s legal regime. This entails you will have to apply for a valid residence permit (i.e. visa), just like any other traveller from a non-EU country.